Re: [RFC] Make scan mode configurable

On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 01:12:02PM +0200, Tambet Ingo wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 12:45, Daniel Wagner <wagi monom org> wrote:
> > BTW, I have small python/qt application here[1] which allows
> > you to play around with it.
>
> What would call the API you added (other than your test program)?

Good question. I assumed this could be an option in the nm-applet.

> Who would want/need to use that UI?

I can just write about the problem I wanted to fix. The time needed
to recognize there is a new AP or an AP disappeared was just too long.
Of course if you don't have a "fast" changing network setup this is not
really problem. This is all about moving around with your laptop/device and
if it takes 120 seconds to see there is a new AP and 360 seconds to
remove the AP from the list is just a bit too long IHMO.

If I didn't get it completely wrong, connman uses continuously
scanning to overcome this problem.

> Is it wireless device specific?

The patch allows to set the scan interval for each device separately.
Basically the patch just changes default behavior in NM. The
scan is still triggered through the wpa_supplicant interface.

> If it's card specific, then we can do the right thing in the NM
> without asking users to try random options if something doesn't feel
> right.

No, it is not card specific. Okay I think you are right about
offering users too many knobs to play with. How do you propose
to "fix" my use case?

daniel