Re: nm 0.6 compatibiity

On Sun, 2009-02-08 at 10:29 +0100, Guillaume Quintard wrote:
> and it's me again, with a question about this page:
> http://projects.gnome.org/NetworkManager/developers/spec.html
>
> using state() of org.freedesktop.NetworkManager is said deprecated in
> 0.7, but it works fine, and I haven't seen any other (easy) way to
> check the connections?
>
> could someone shed some light on that point please?

The NetworkManager D-Bus interface changed drastically between 0.6 and
0.7 to become more flexible and support more types of devices.

Certain legacy methods were preserved to maintain compatibility with
programs that used 0.6 for network state discovery, ie "Am I connected
to something?" questions.  That's why there are so many ways to get the
overall NM state.

But as you've discovered, those methods are marked "deprecated", because
they are only provided as a compatibility mechanism, and are likely to
be removed in NetworkManager 0.8 or later.  They will exist for the
lifetime of NetworkManager 0.7 though.