dbus and OpenVPN Autostart

I am attempting to create a dispatcher script to autostart an OpenVPN
connection, I am stuck on how to get the vpn to connect through dbus.
Would anyone have a working example, preferably in python but any
language will do?

I am running Ubuntu 8.10 (NetworkManager 0.7), I have found at least one
example on the web but it appears to be for an earlier dbus Network
Manager API version as I get errors when running them.

I have looked at the 0.7 dbus API but can't figure out what to send to
the org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.VPN.Plugin.Connect method or even if
this is the right approach?

Thanks

David