3G USB support for NM 0.7.0

Hi,

   I am trying to get my Sierra Wireless 598 CDMA USB modem to work.
I am running Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy) which came preloaded on Dell mini
Inspiron 1210 (like a netbook)
I cannot (easily) upgrade the kernel or distro due to custom Dell
hardware kernel drivers (WiFi driver "wl" is proprietary).
I am using dual boot (DOS/XP/Ubuntu) with GRUB 1.0 in the MBR, don't
want to upgrade to GRUB2 (comes with Ubuntu 8.10) since I have a
working freedos bootable USB drive with GRUB1 for dos installer (just
in case).
I believe that Ubunutu 9.x fully supports the Sierra Wireless 598 out
of the box... cannot upgrade as stated above.

I have upgraded to the latest released Network Manager 0.7.0 and
Modem Manager 0.0+20081126t163712.bf522e3.mbm.f2-0ubuntu2
using apt-get etc.
I have downloaded, compiled and installed the latest Sierra Wireless
driver (v.1.7.8) for my kernel (2.6.24)

USB connects fine on Windows XP computer, device is activated.
Kernel: 2.6.24-22-lpia

I am able to connect to internet using the following:

1) plug into any USB slot, kernel detects device, ignores tru-install

2) I run usb_modeswitch to change from "mass storage" to "modem"
   kernel then detects it is Sierra Modem (dmesg)
   /ttyUSB0 to /ttyUSB4 devices are available
3) wvdial into /dev/ttuUSB0
4) pppd
5) manually adding required routes to routing table (local IP, remote
IP, and gateway)
6) manually adding DNS entries in /etc/resolve.conf

  I can script items 1 to 4, but have trouble with 5 and 6 because
Network manager will overwrite them...

  Now I understand there is a plug-in mechanism to add USB BroadBand
Mobile devices to network manager, by copying existing examples...I
will need help to find and configure them...

  Since the kernel does not detect the USB modem without sending
usb_modeswitch... is there any hope to getting network manager to work
with a D-Bus signal/message?

Thanks,
Keith.