Re: Online Status Design

On Thu, 2009-12-03 at 14:42 +0000, Martin Owens wrote:
> I think proxies are going to be the tricky one, requires someone who
> knows about them tbh. But in any case, reporting that your not online
> when you are is slightly more desirable that reporting that your online
> when your not.

No. No, it's not. Not when software uses that information to change it's
behavior. Like Firefox, which used to go into offline mode when NM said
there wasn't a network connection, denying me access to my local web
server. Or IM clients going offline because no internet connection is
available.

Much better to falsely report a working connection than to tell the user
and their applications that they can't access the internet when they
really can.

Simon.