Re: reconnect after sleeping

--On Wednesday, August 19, 2009 14:43:36 -0500 Dan Williams <dcbw redhat com> wrote:

> On Wed, 2009-08-19 at 20:21 +0100, Rick Jones wrote:
> >
> > It seems to me this would be a good opportunity to handle WOL
> > properly. I've never been able to get WOL to work, and messing around
> > with ethtool shouldn't be necessary anyway. It seems to be something
> > that just isn't easy on Linux. If NM were to take control of
> > suspending the network devices then it should be easy for it to set up
> > the conditions for WOL to work.
> >
> > Another good reason to press ahead with this?
>
> I wouldn't expect WOL to work at the driver/hardware level before 2.6.32
> anyway given that there's only recently been a lot of work on it
> upstream.  I'm not sure of the specifics though, since it seems like
> we'd need some sort of communication between the card/driver and
> userspace to alert NM or the supplicant to *why* the machine was woken
> up, and potentially what to do in response to that.
>
> Dan

I wouldn't have thought reacting to a WOL wakeup would need to be any different from the normal power-button wakeup. The problem at the moment is that it doesn't seem possble to suspend the machine in such a way that it will wakeup at all in response to network activity - either magic packets or other. Is this what the 2.6.32 work is intended to solve?

Rick