Re: failed to start nm-applet

saurav barik a écrit :

> I upgraded my old version of NM(svnr2984) to 0.7.1 version on my ARM
> platform.
> However I am facing couple of issues -
> 1. nm-applet does not start on its own during system boot-up. NetworkManager
> runs successfully.

Just like any graphical application, nm-applet requires a graphical
DISPLAY. So you cannot run it early at boot when you are not yet logged
in a graphical session.

> 2. When I try to run "nm-applet --sm-disable" on console, I got
> "(nm-applet:1201):
> Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:"
>     "export DISPLAY=':0.0'" helped me got rid of this problem and nm-applet
> ran fine thereafter.

This worked because you already had a graphical session started on
DISPLAY :0.0. You just sent nm-applet to this session.

>     However I can not export the above from any init script that runs before
> "K28NetworkManager".
>     Meaning export does not work during boot-up init scripts.

"export" works in any shell script but is not system-wide; it exports
the given variable only to child processes. There is no "way up"; as
soon as an init script is completed its environment variables die.

> How can I successfully run nm-applet without doing an "export"?

nm-applet is meant to be started from within a graphical session (where
DISPLAY is already defined and exported for you). Run nm-applet from
there.