From: Dan Williams <dcbw redhat com>
Subject: Re: network manager Question
To: "Craig" <fasteliteprogrammer yahoo com>
Cc: networkmanager-list gnome org
Date: Tuesday, April 28, 2009, 10:17 AM

GSM or CDMA again?  If GSM, you'll need to ensure you set the APN.  You
can also try to put in a fake username and password, some modems require
that.  It shouldn't actually matter what they are, because the password
is only between you and the modem, and isn't relayed to the network at
all.

To further debug, you could stop NetworkManager (using the Ubuntu
service control applet, whatever that is), then open a terminal, and
type:

su -        (then enter your user password)
NM_PPP_DEBUG=1 NM_SERIAL_DEBUG=1 /usr/sbin/NetworkManager --no-daemon

and then plug in your modem, and try to connect.  When it fails, copy
the output from that terminal window into a reply to this mail.

Dan