From: Dan Williams <dcbw redhat com>
To: lucas redding talktalk net
CC: networkmanager-list gnome org
Sent: Thu, 23 Apr 2009 12:48
Subject: Re: Wired Connections not working

On Thu, 2009-04-23 at 06:53 -0400, lucas redding talktalk net wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am new to this mailing list.
>
> I am using Ubuntu 8.10. I have not been able to resolve the problems
> on their forums, so this is why I am joining the newsletter.
>
> Apologies in advance if I am repeating a common thread. If so I would
> be grateful if you could please send a link.
>
> I have set up my wireless connection using Network Manager and this
> runs perfectly. I have set it to use the DHCP server on the router and
> the router sets it up as IP 192.168.1.2; Mask 255.255.255.0 GW
> 192.168.1.1 (Address of router).
>
> Now I wish to set up a wired connection to the same router. When I am
> in my home office and sitting next to the router I may as well connect
> to it by wire. I also wish to use a mains ethernet connection in the
> future to substitute the wireless connection when my wife connects in
> the living room).
>
> Unfortunately Network manager fails to connect to the router by wire.

Here's the problem:

- Device: eth0 ----------------------------------------------------------------
Type: Wired
Driver: e1000e
State: unmanaged

The "unmanaged" state means that you (or when you installed, the
installer) directed NetworkManager to completely ignore this device.
Try removing anything relating to "eth0" from
your /etc/network/interfaces file, and restart. Or (if things haven't
changed too much in 8.10) you can set the device to "Roaming" mode in
the network control panel. let us know how it goes!

Dan