Re: Network Manager issues with password storage on Ubuntu 8.10

On Wed, 2009-04-08 at 17:25 -0700, Harald Rudell wrote:
> Hello,
>
> using the nm-applet 0.7.0 and network manager 0.7, you may end up in a
> situation where each saved WPA password becomes garbled
>
> this can happen when
> 1. you delete the default key ~/.gnome2/keyrings/login.keyring, and
> gnome recreates it automatically
> 2. maybe when changing passwords
> 3. update Ubuntu to 8.10
>
> symptom is:
> network manager tries to connect to wpa networks, and an entered
> password becomes a 64-character string
> (the password is garbled when nm tries to save it to the keyring)

The passphrase gets hashed to the actual hex key, which is what's
actually used to connect.  However, that should be fine, because NM
won't *rehash* it once it's already hashed.

> verify the issue after it occured:
> 1. in Gnome start nm-connection-editor from command line or right
> click nm-applet icon and select Edit connections
> 2. select Wireless tab, click Add, enter a in SSID field, select
> Wireless Security tab, select WPA personal security, enter password
> "abcdefgh", click OK
> 3. select your created connection, click Edit, select Wireless
> Security tab, check Show Password
> BUG: the password is a 64 character string
> EXPECTED: the password abcdefgh

Actually, the hashed password is currently expected.  Since hashing is
one-way, the passphrase is pretty much lost.  Yes, I'd like to fix that
because it confuses a heck of a lot of people.

If the connection fails, is the hashed password shown in the box always
the same, or does it keep changing?

Dan