From: Hooker, Jonathan
Sent: Thursday, April 02, 2009 11:34 PM
To: networkmanager-list gnome org
Subject: Issue with Auto eth0

Hi,

I am a system administrator for a large (300+) fedora desktop environment and am in the process of creating a new image to deploy to all of my developers. I have been having issues with setting up NM to connect properly to our dhcp servers so that we can configure forward dns lookups. Basically what I have done is create an Auto Ethernet connection which has the following gconf settings:

 /system/networking/connections/1/ipv4:
  routes = []
  addresses = []
  method = auto
  dhcp-hostname = testd63fed
  dhcp-client-id = nixdns-testd63fed
  dns-search = [garmin.com,ad.garmin.com,nix.garmin.com]
  name = ipv4
  dns = []
 /system/networking/connections/1/802-3-ethernet:
  name = 802-3-ethernet
  duplex = full
 /system/networking/connections/1/connection:
  id = Auto Ethernet
  timestamp = 1238728735
  type = 802-3-ethernet
  uuid = 2d204a05-4c70-4080-ad23-34b53d5a95fe
  name = connection

The problem is that this does not by default start when the system does. I have also tried putting these settings in the root user's gconf. Is there any way I can tell Network Manager to by default select Auto Ethernet as opposed to the standard System eth0? I know that System eth0 pulls from my ifcfg-eth0 scripts but there is no way I can tell of sending the dhcp-hostname and dhcp-client-id back to the dhcp server without using this or dhclient. I would really like for all of my network device settings to be managed from the same program. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Jonathan Hooker
Desktop Support - Engineering
Garmin International
jonathan hooker garmin com

This e-mail and any attachments may contain confidential material for the sole use of the intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient, please be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of this e-mail or any attachment is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please contact the sender and delete all copies.

Thank you for your cooperation