Re: wpa_supplicant cli works, but NM insists "wireless is disabled"

>> >behavior.

>ignorant
>> >of

>reporting

>> >/var/log/messages chunk:

>> >What's the output of:
>> >
>> >dellWirelessCtl
>>
>> Here it is: http://www.flight.us/bugs/dellWirelessCtl.txt
>>
>> OK, it appears that the "problem"(?) /does/ originate in the BIOS (I did
>present this hypothesis at the Fedora forum, but no one took that path, which
>now seems correct)
>
>Yeah, if dellWirelessCtl says the WLAN is disabled, then that's what the
>BIOS thinks.  The best thing I think you could do is file a bug against
>'libsmbios' package in Fedora bugzilla and the Dell guys will try to
>help you debug.

Yes, of course, my **internal** wifi card /is/ disabled in the BIOS!
(You may not have read my FedoraForum thread)

dellWirelessCtl is reporting correctly regarding the internal card (only).

But why should this concern the external, removable cards??

Why should NetworkManager get info from the BIOS regarding the *internal* device, and, based on that, disable Wifi globally, for ALL the cards, including the removable ones, which are configured and working perfectly (with wpa_supplicant)

(the goal here is to use my external, removable Atheros card, and keep the built-in card disabled in the BIOS)

This looks like an algorithmic oversight in the NM's code. Also, I would think, an easy fix (if only i knew C!)

Thanks in advance!

andrew