Making NM portable

I was going through the NM code and found that the implementation is
tied to the Linux kernel. I also noticed that FreeBSD people want to
make it work with the FreeBSD kernel.

Recently I was hacking on a 'route' implementation that works across
multiple kernels and is as much feature complete as posible. The idea
is to have a library do the hard work using PF_NETLINK for the Linux
kernel and PF_ROUTE for the *BSD kernels.

Can I do something to help NM use such a library instead of directly
invoking ip(8) from iproute2?

Happy hacking,
Debarshi