no valid VPN secrets

"The vpn connection "VPN" failed because there were no valid VPN
secrets."

I get this message when I connect to any VPN (connections that worked in
prior versions of NetworkManager).  When I create new VPN connections, I
get the same thing. I'm never prompted to enter credentials.

Any idea if I'm looking at a KDE problem, a NetworkManager, or problem?
What program does NetworkManager hook into for secrets, passkeys, etc?

running latest SVN NetworkManager and nm-applet, KDE 4.1.1, on Kubuntu
Hardy.

Regards,
Tom Sutherland