Re: Ubuntu nm-0.6.6 PPTP problems.

On Thu, Nov 27, 2008 at 05:28:53PM -0500, Gustaf Barkstrom wrote:

> 2) In roaming mode, I don't get address from DHCP (dumpy router DHCP
> server)... so I prefer static IP. Does the interface have to have an IP
> address, etc. for nm to think that it's active? e.g. the interface shows
> "UP" in ifconfig, but it's not configured, so is it "UP" as far as nm is
> concerned?

roaming mode is equivalent to "use NetworkManager"; non-roaming mode
doesnt use NetworkManager at all.

NetworkManager 0.6.6 doesnt support static IPs, so you cannot use
roaming mode and if you want to use VPN you need to set this up all
manually (sorry!).

> 3) Has there been any workaround to allow static IP's and PPTP VPN in
> 0.7 of nm?

Yes, NM 0.7 supports static IPs and hence you can also use VPN on top
of that.

> 4) Would upgrading to 8.10 help?

Yes. Alternatively you can also use the ~network-manager PPA where I
regular push hardy backports. The quality of those should be more or
less similar of what is in the official release. Of course, there is
no proper staging for that repo so there might be issues here and
then. If you see a regression after an update from that archive, feel
free to complain to me (here or in a ubuntu bug).

The PPA for NM 0.7 in hardy is:
  https://launchpad.net/~network-manager/+archive

Hope that helps,

 - Alexander