Re: Powersaving Patch for NetworkManager

drago01 wrote:
On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 1:59 PM, Alexander Sack <asac ubuntu com> wrote:
On Tue, Nov 25, 2008 at 01:38:12PM +0100, Jan Kantert wrote:
Hi,

according to powertop Network Manager wakes up my cpu about once every
two seconds. Thats does not sound much but on an idle desktop with 10
wake ups per seconds thats 5%. I wanted my laptop's cpu to stay longer
in sleepstates so I wrote a little patch (against trunk) to replace
g_timeout_add with g_timeout_add_seconds (where possible), which uses
more rough granularity. This helps to aggregate timeouts and will
statistically wake up the cpu less frequently.
Sounds good. Curious, if you have collected data on how much of a
powersaving win this patch brings?

The patch itself won't save much power, but when other apps wake up
less often too the cpu will spend more time idle and therefore save
power.

?? - we should be able to quantify with powertop. Even if it doesn't save much power in the long run a wakeup once every 2 secconds (as quoted) vs. a wakeup once every 10 is an %80 reduction in wakeups.