Re: howto disable default multiple device activation?

Hi,

Tony Espy wrote:
> Dan Williams wrote:
>> On Tue, 2008-11-25 at 09:50 +0100, Nikolaus Filus wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> with the switch to Intrepid I finally got the long awaited NM 0.7 features and
>>> although it incorporates several enhancements I would really like to set it back
>>> to the 0.6 behaviour of 1 active (physical) device.
>> Note that this behavior would prohibit Internet connection sharing and
>> instant failover when you pull the cable or whatever.
>
> Dan --
>
> To follow-up on the original question, is it possible to restore the
> single active connection behavior of NM 0.6.6 w/out changing code?
>
> In my opinion, unless someone is actively using connection sharing,
> keeping Wi-Fi connected while Ethernet is active is just burning a slot
> in the AP that someone else could be utilizing...
>
> What about 3g?  Does it also stay connected when an Ethernet cable is
> plugged in?  If so, couldn't that have financial implications to the
> end-user?

Thank you for sharing my point of view.

I'm responsible for a little office network and I never saw a use case for
connection sharing in office environments. This is also one of those things I
disallow for all users. In my eyes only some end users need this for their home
networks in rare cases.
Besides that I always hated the default windows behaviour of acquiring IP
adresses on all interfaces, what means everyone gets 1 ethernet and 1 wireless
address. I don't want to have this on linux.

I have no problem with a short re-orientation period when switching from wlan to
ethernet or the other way round.

Just my 2¢

Nikolaus