Re: Network profiles

On Mon, 2008-11-10 at 14:21 -0800, Robert Smits wrote:
> On November 10, 2008 01:37:03 pm Dan Williams wrote:

> > > It would be really helpful if there was a link to a page describing how
> > > to do all this in simple language, and with examples you can follow. Not
> > > all of us know how to write or link scripts, etc.
> > >
> > > One of my pet peeves about Network Manager is that it doesn't do this
> > > already.
> >
> > It's not really NetworkManager's *core* responsibility, and thus to keep
> > the NM codebase flexible and maintainable I don't really want to pile
> > all sorts of stuff into it.
>
> I don't want "all kinds of stuff" in it - I just want the obvious stuff when
> you make a connection - populating the nfs or samba network should be an
> obvious chore for a "network manager".

Some people want network shares, others want printers, others want NTP
updates, others want proxy configuration, some want hostspot auto-login,
where do you draw the line?  "Obvious" means a lot of different things
to people.

Thus, I draw the line for what code goes into the NetworkManager daemon
at: core network management tasks relating to IP-level connectivity.
What additional tasks are performed once you have IP-level connectivity
isn't code that I think should be in the core NetworkManager daemon.

NM should *certainly* provide the mechanisms (and it already does) by
which these things can be handled easily and transparently, but going
forward I don't want to maintain the devil-child of an octopus and an
elephant.  Essentially, what we need is a service that listens for and
responds to network events based on what you want done.  Call it a
"location" service or an "event" service.  Sounds a lot like what
upstart is trying to be.

Dan