Re: problems with intel wireless cards

On Mon, 2008-11-10 at 11:33 +0100, Bjorge Solli wrote:
> Hi Dan and others,
>
> we see a problem with intel wireless cards on our Fedora 9 with 2.6.26
> kernel.
>
> The problem exists (it seems) only on our high end wireless routers, not
> on cheap home access points. I have seen it on both a and g networks, on
> two different brands of routers (both cisco).
>
> The router receives the first request for connection, but it gives up
> replying after 10 tries. This results in no connection when the wireless
> card times out.
>
> We are able to "solve" this in these ways:
> - restart NetworkManager service many times until it works.
> - revert to 2.6.25 kernel
>
> We have seen the same on Ubuntu.
>
> We first thought it was due to bad firmware, but we have produced the
> same results with all fw we could get our hands on.
>
> It seems to me that this is not a bug in NM, but in the kernel, and that
> NM sometimes does "The Right Thing" to make it work, and other times
> not. I'm guessing it's a kernel issue, but want your advice on this topic.
>
> Regards
> Bjørge Solli
> Univ. of Bergen, Norway
I am a little confused. I have an ipw2200 card, which I think is an
intel card. I am using the 2.6.26.6-79 kernel and networking works
What card is giving you problems?
The First Rule of Program Optimization: Don't do it. The Second Rule of
Program Optimization (for experts only!): Don't do it yet. -- Michael
Jackson