Re: ModemManager API review

Hi Dan,

So the first thing that draw me off is that we are stupidly mapping
the HAL
devices 1:1 to our devices. That is wrong. We should not do this.
So for
example my Option card has three TTYs and one network device. This
all is
one device. Currently it shows up as three devices. The number of TTY
(control, data or whatever) is an implementation and should not be
exposed
via the API. So we have to be smart with this.

With the generic implementation, MM maps a HAL device with
"modem.command_sets" property as a single device. So if you got 3, it
means your HAL .fdi file is incorrect.

I don't see how that can be. It was the HSO card and it might need
more tweaks than usual. Besides kernel patches ;)

hso cards _do_ need more tweaks than usual. They have either one or two
control ports, but the HAL magic here is somewhat lacking.  We need to
"tag" the various ports with "control" or "data" or "gps" or "control2" in addition to determining the command sets. What you're seeing is HAL not being able to tag the ports correctly, because the only way to know this is to check hso-specific sysfs files. We really need a generic way
to do this in the kernel drivers.

sounds like a good idea. Do you have any proposal for the generic way of tagging the "type" of a TTY. Or is just a todo item?

It might be a good idea to natively integrate this into the TTY subsystem instead of having every driver to create sysfs files manually.

What _should_ be happening here is that (once Kay creates the repo) that a udev prober checks out each serial port's supported command sets, and
stores that info in the udev database.  Then, either MM can read that
information directly, or we create a small HAL callout that reads the
udev database and adds the right modem.command_sets items for backwards
compatibility.  Then we kill 10-modem.fdi and everyone is happy.

I am all for the udev way. Was just checking out Kay's work in libudev and that looks really promising.

In short, 'hso' is special and HAL is missing some stuff.  It's not
really MM's fault.

Fair enough. So I am going to see if we can fix HAL somehow to classify my HSO device correctly.

I also have one of these new Novatel MC950D from Rogers in Canada that is not recognized by HAL as a GSM modem.

Regards

Marcel