Re: Can nm provide connection speed ?

On Mon, Nov 3, 2008 at 11:22 AM, Patryk Zawadzki <patrys pld-linux org> wrote:
> This way we could make both Totem and PackageKit happy (the former
> needs bandwidth to optimize streaming, the latter doesn't want to pull
> updates on GPRS and needs bandwidth to throttle the background
> downloads).

The active device type is already available on the NetworkManager DBus
API. The broadband modem speed (at least network type, ie gprs/3g/...)
will be available in the near future. But having every application
know so much about different device types and their details, not to
mention that active 1gig ethernet device usually doesn't mean you have
that connection speed, I think there is room for some sort of library
or service that is implemented on top of NM but below user
applications.

Tambet