Re: Support for L2TP/IPsec

On Fri, 2008-06-27 at 21:55 +0200, Vincent Bernat wrote:
> OoO En ce  doux début de matinée  du samedi 24 mai 2008,  vers 08:44, je
> disais:
>
> >> We might have to patch xl2tpd then; I understand why they did it, but
> >> passing files around is just broken.
>
> > Hi Dan!
>
> > I will propose a patch for xl2tpd to be able to do anything from command
> > line (for a  client only) and I  will try to push the  patch upstream. I
> > keep you in touch.
>
> Hi Dan!
>
> I have proposed a patch to  upstream that would allow to use xl2tpd just
> like pppd. I attach the patch  to this message. xl2tpd should be invoked
> like this:
>  xl2tpd --simple <hostname> <pppd args>
>
> This  patch needs  more work.  For example,  if the  host  is incorrect,
> xl2tpd will  just wait forever but  I think this  is a good start  for a
> prototype.

It should probably exit with a specific return code if the host can't be
reached or can't be found via DNS.

But yes, looks like a good start.  This would be acceptable for NM to
use (as long as we don't need to pass secrets to it on the
command-line); even better would be reading the config from stdin like
vpnc.  But this patch certainly removes the need for non-trivial and
error-prone temporary config file creation and cleanup.

Thanks!