Re: [ubuntu/debian] monitoring woes of /etc/network/interfaces...

On Mon, Jun 02, 2008 at 10:04:11PM +0100, Daniel J Blueman wrote:
> Network Manager 0.6.6 (in eg Ubuntu 8.04) monitors the
> /etc/network/interfaces for changes and acts upon them as soon as the
> file is modified.
>
> This can be seen as a good feature in certain ways, but had two
> significant drawbacks I find:
>
>  - in Linux/unix philosiphy (thus expected usage), editing
> configuration files can be safely done (multiple times) until some
> subsystem is restarted/notified
>
>  - if you're logged in, and (eg) /home is NFS-mounted, you get a
> consequent system hang
>
> Is there a strong case for this behaviour, or something else that
> depends on this?

This is an ubuntu specific patch. The reason for this patch is that we
have other desktop components that change that file.

However, I can see your point. Maybe implementing a dbus "reconfigure"
instead of auto reconfiguring when config files change would be a
good alternative?

 - Alexander