Re: Auto-activate

On Sun, 2008-06-01 at 21:34 +0200, Will Stephenson wrote:
> What needs to be done to get NM to autoconnect a wireless connection on
> UserSettingsService startup?  I can see KNM responding to GetSettings with
> autoconnect=true, but NM then seems to ignore the connection.  I am going to
> put some debug in NetworkManagerPolicy.c but could someone (Dan hopefully)
> elaborate the way it should work, from a client's point of view?

For wifi, look in nm-device-802-11-wireless.c,
real_get_best_auto_connection().  That loops through all connections,
and will match connections based on:

a) if it's a wireless connection
b) if it's autoconnect
c) if it's got a wireless setting
d) if it has a MAC address, if that MAC matches the device's MAC
e) if there's a compatible AP in the device's scan list

I'd suspect (e) first here actually.  There may be a bug in the AP
matching code, or the connection may just be wrong for the AP you're
trying to connect to.  If the call to nm_ap_check_compatible() for your
AP is returning FALSE, get the iwlist output for the AP and then drill
down into that function and see why it's returning FALSE.  It's probably
in the security stuff.