RE: Trying to start the system settings daemon... why?

On Fri, 2008-07-18 at 15:06 -0400, Miner, Jonathan W (US SSA) wrote:
> > It means that the system settings service couldn't be started.  We
> should figure out _why_ it can't be started, actually.  Could be due to
> selinux policy denials perhaps.  Can you stop NetworkManager and run:
>
> > /usr/sbin/nm-system-settings --debug --plugins=ifcfg-fedora
>
> On this particular system, selinux is disabled. Here is my output... but I had to ^C it, since the command ended up hanging.
>
> ** Message: Loaded plugin ifcfg-fedora: (c) 2007 - 2008 Red Hat, Inc.  To report bugs please use the NetworkManager mailing list.
> ** Message:    ifcfg-fedora: parsing /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 ...
> ** Message:    ifcfg-fedora:     error: Invalid IP4 prefix '0'

What's the NETMASK or PREFIX field in that ifcfg file?  This could well
be a bug.

> ** Message:    ifcfg-fedora: parsing /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-lo ...
> ** Message:    ifcfg-fedora:     error: Ignoring loopback device config.
> ** Message:    ifcfg-fedora: parsing /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-wlan0 ...
> ** Message:    ifcfg-fedora:     error: Missing SSID

Missing ESSID in the ifcfg, so NM has no idea what net to connect to
there.

> ** Message: Adding default connection 'Auto eth0' for /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/net_00_1b_38_c4_db_8e

The system settings service will create an automatic DHCP connection for
any ethernet device that doesn't have connection.  It should probably
not create the auto connection if there was an ethernet ifcfg file, but
that file failed to parse.

This doesn't show why the service couldn't be started though, or why NM
would keep trying to start the service.  Can you install d-feet when you
encounter the problem and see if any service with the name
"org.freedesktop.NetworkManagerSystemSettings" is running?  Any SELinux
errors that you can see with setroubleshoot?

dan