Re: PPP: "Re: IPCP with mobile ISP sometimes gives bogus DNS address"

Also you can take a look at my patch recently posted to
linux-ppp vger kernel org

Re: PPP difficulties regarding connection establishment and bogus DNS received
07/01/2008 02:50 PM

Markus Becker wrote:
Hi all,

several 3G cards (e.g. from Option) are reporting 10.11.12.13 as DNS server, when they are not yet attached to a network, as you probably know, see http://marc.info/?l=linux-ppp&w=2&r=1&s=bogus+DNS&q=b

There seem to be 2 possible solutions to this:
1) Patch PPP to accept MS-WINS settings and use high values for ipcp-max-configure, ipcp-max-failure, ipcp-max-terminate and/or ipcp-restart. See http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=445711 .
(I am using the mentioned patch currently. Works fine for me.)

2) Checking with AT command CGATT, whether the device is attached to a network and only try to dial in when this is true. (http://marc.info/?l=linux-ppp&m=121305432406467&w=2)

In order to get this fixed, I have several questions:

a) The Debian bug report states, this has been sent upstream. Has upstream accepted, denied or forgotten about it? Is there an upstream bugzilla for
linux-ppp?

b) Marco, could this patch be part of the Debian package? Dan, how is this done in Fedora?

c) Dan, could solution 2 be integrated into NM?

Markus