Re: Trying to use NM 0.7.0 on Ubuntu Gutsy

On Sat, Feb 09, 2008 at 05:10:18PM +0100, Gabriele Monti wrote:

> Dan Williams wrote:
> | On Sat, 2008-02-09 at 10:49 +0100, Gabriele Monti wrote:
> |> Hi!
> |> I compiled and installed NM (manager and applet) from svn trunk.
> |> Everything seems fine, I'm able to successfully start NetworkManager and
> |> NetworkManagerDispatcher (both eth0 and eth1 seem to be managed, see the
> |> output below) but clicking on the applet no network appear on the list.
> |> The NetorkManager daemon keeps returning "Trying to start the
> |> supplicant...Trying to start the system settings daemon...", is this ok?
> |
> | You'll need the supplicant to be able to do anything wireless.  NM is
> | trying to add the wireless interface to the supplicant so it can scan
> | for and connect to wireless networks.  You'll need to make sure that
> | wpa_supplicant is able to be activated by D-Bus, and has the "-u" option
> | on it's command line to provide the D-Bus interface.
> |

> mmm...I saw no -u option from man wpa_supplicant, which version are you
> using? Ubuntu has 0.6.0...

no thats not true. we downgraded to 0.5.x before the gutsy final
release. Thus, the rather confusing package version.

> Do I also need a conf file for wpa_supplicant on /etc/dbus-1/system.d,
> am I right? If this is the case, where can I find that file settings?

Just respin the wpasupplicant from debian-sid or my ppa

  https://edge.launchpad.net/~asac/+archive

and all should be fine.

There is even a network-manager 0.7 package in that PPA in case you
care :)

 - Alexander