Re: NetworkManager and OpenVPN

On Sun, 2008-12-14 at 10:05 -0800, Geoffrey Leach wrote:
> Could someone outline (or provide a pointer to) the role played by
> NetworkManager-openvpn (in v 0.7)? I notice that the openvpm service
> dies on startup, although there appear to be no ill effects from that.

You my be running an older version of openvpn (2.1 rc8 or lower?) that
doesn't accept the --script-security argument.  Is that the case?

Basically, NetworkManager-openvpn is the openvpn plugin to allow NM to
connect to OpenVPN VPN servers.  When you ask NM to activate an OpenVPN
connection, NM launches nm-openvpn-service which handles the actual
connection task.

If --script-security isn't the problem, then we can try to debug this
further by just running '/usr/libexec/nm-openvpn-service' as root, then
connecting from the NM applet menu.  That will spit out more debug info,
which we can look at to find out what the problem is.