Re: Problems with Ubuntu 8.10 and multiple users (connection closed on log out)

Hi,

I kind of partially solved the problem. I've changed the connection
setting so that it is a system-wide connection and all users can use it,
no matter if the first one logs out. Thanks Dan and Alexander.

However, I'm still getting only one Network Manager Applet in the Tray
Area. The first user to log has it, but the following users do not.
Isn't it possible to have multiple instances of NM applet running?

Thanks again,

Dídac

Alexander Sack wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 09, 2008 at 02:01:42PM -0500, Dan Williams wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 2008-12-08 at 11:42 +0100, Dídac Busquets wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I recently upgraded to Ubuntu 8.10 and since then I have a little
>>> problem with nm-applet.
>>>
>>> When the first user to log in my machine starts his session,
>>> nm-applet
>>> is started and it automatically connects to my wireless network. Up
>>> here everything is fine.
>>>
>>> However, if a second user logs in (the first one not loggin out),
>>> there
>>> is no nm-applet it his session. This is not a huge problem, since the
>>> connection still works for both users.
>>>
>>> The problem comes when the first user logs out, then, his nm-applet
>>> shutdowns, and so does the connection, thus leaving the second user
>>> non-connected, and without any nm-applet in his session.
>>>
>> Correct; there are two types of network connections; 'user' and
>> 'system'. System connections are available to all users of the machine
>> to activate and deactivate, while user connections are available only to
>> the user that created them.
>>
>> It sounds like your primary connection isn't a system connection, and
>> thus when your user logs out, your preferences (which contain the
>> connection information) go away, and of course the connection is brought
>> down.
>>
>> Try setting up the connection in /etc/network/interfaces, and if that
>> doesn't work for some reason, use the keyfile plugin (add ",keyfile"
>> to /etc/NetworkManager/nm-system-settings.conf at the end of the
>> "plugins=" line, and restart), and create a new system connection in the
>> connection editor.
>>

> keyfile plugin is enabled by default in ubuntu. So just go to
> connection editor, create a new connection and set the system settings
> flag there.
>
> - Alexander

¡Accede al correo desde el móvil! ¿Qué opinas?