what technique is used by the network manager to connect to a particular wireless network.

i am trying to connect to my wireless network using the command line.
the steps that are followed by me are given bellow

current status : connected to the wlan0 with ESSID "mydesk"
(where mydesk is the name of the network that i am connected to)

use the commands

#ifconfig wlan0 down ///////make the wlan0 interface down, now a this stage i am disconnected from any network available
#ifconfig wlan0 uo ///////make the wlan0 interface up

now my interface is up, but i am not connected to any netwrok, there are many wireless lans available and i want to connect to a particular one wireless lan using the console, so i use the following command

#iwconfig wlan0 essid "mydesk"
(where mydesk is the name of the network that i want to connected to)

now at this stage i expect my interface to connect to the wireless lan with the ESSID "mydesk", but it is not the case, my browser still shows "no network connection"

can you please guide me how can i connect to a particular wireless network using the command prompt.
or may guide me with the code or the strategy used by the network manager to connect to a particular wireless network.

i hope i have explained my problem well
any help will be appreciates.