Re: Needed help about nm internals

On Sun, 2008-11-30 at 17:48 +0100, Santiago Capel Torres wrote:
> Hi, I have been prodding around inside NetworkManager but I have not
> been able to find the exact code that makes a connection to a wireless
> access point, though I have been able to compile and debug
> network-manager-applet. I get lost when I get to a function of the type
> nma_marshall_............

The important thing to remember is that all the commands happen via
D-Bus.  You tell NetworkManager to activate a network _connection_,
which could be wired, wireless, 3G, whatever.  This connection is
provided over D-Bus to NetworkManager by a "settings service", of which
there are usually two: user and system.  The connection that you tell NM
to activate must be provided by one of these two settings services.  So
first, given an AP you'd like to connect to, your settings service
(either system or user) creates the connection with the security details
and SSID of the AP, and exports it over D-Bus.  Then, you call the
ActivateConnection method of NetworkManager and tell it to activate that
connection you just created.  The actual activation happens in
nm-manager.c, impl_manager_activate_connection().

Dan