Re: [ANNOUNCE] ModemManager (for GSM and CDMA)

On Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 6:17 PM, Pablo Martí <pmarti warp es> wrote:
>>> org.freedesktop.ModemManager.Modem.Gsm.Network:
>>>  - GetRegistrationStatus() -> (uu)    (AT+CREG?)
>>>  - GetInfo() -> (su)  (AT+COPS?)
>>>  - GetNames() -> a(ussuu)   (AT+COPS=?)
>>>  - GetRoamingIDs() -> as    (AT+CPOL?)
>>>  - GetSignalQuality() -> u
>>>  - SetRegistrationNotification(b enable) ->
>>>  - SetInfoFormat(u mode, u format) -> (i.e. AT+COPS=3,0)
>>>  - RegisterWithNetID(s netid) ->
>>>
>>>  - CregReceived(u status) ->   (signal)
>>>  - SignalQuality(u rssi) ->   (signal)
>>
>> I think these are too low level. I'd much prefer the current ones from
>> ModemManager.
>
> You mean:
>  - Register("") -> Tries to register with your home network
>  - Register("24301") -> Tries to register with the given MNC
>
> I can agree in this two. "AT+COPS?" is a pretty useful command that
> you've (inadvertently) banned here :), ditto with "At+COPS=?" and
> "AT+CPOL?" when you have a buggy firmware/old SIM that does strange
> things while roaming...

I also meant:

GetRegistrationInfo() -> (uss)

The returned arguments mean:
u - Registration status: Idle:Home:Searching:Denied:Unknown:Roaming
s - Registered operator code
s - Registered operator long name

Which would be the union of a lot of commands you proposed.

>>> org.freedesktop.ModemManager.Modem.Gsm.PIN:
>>>  - Change(s oldpin, s newpin) ->
>>>  - Check() -> u  (Returns the SIM auth state, to check it against an enum)
>>>  - Enable(s pin) ->
>>>  - Disable(s pin) ->
>>>  - Send(s pin) ->
>>>  - SendPUK(s puk, s pin) ->
>>
>> Not sure about these. Currently, Check() is part of
>> Gsm.Card.Enable(True). Enable(pin)/Disable(pin) could be one method
>> with a boolean argument. What's the difference (code wise) between
>> Send() and SendPUK()? So that would leave us with 3 methods:
>> Enable(bool), Send(string), Change(string, string). If so, maybe they
>> can be part of the Gsm.Card interface?
>
> Enable(b) sounds good to me. The difference between Send and SendPUK
> is that the former receives just one parameter (the pin), while the
> later receives two, the puk and the new PIN to set in the card. One of
> the advantages of having a separate interface is that CDMA devices
> cant just skip the .PIN interface. Otherwise they'll support half of
> .Card.

We're talking about the interfaces starting with
org.freedesktop.ModemManager.Gsm.* so CDMA can be ignored here.

Tambet