Re: [ANNOUNCE] ModemManager (for GSM and CDMA)

On Wed, 2008-08-27 at 15:40 +0100, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-08-27 at 17:35 +0300, Tambet Ingo wrote:
> >
> > >  - GetCharset -> s
> > >  - GetCharsets() -> as
> > >  - SetCharset(s charset) ->
> >
> > Do we need these? Do the modems support UTF8? If they do, let's just
> > default to that. The reason I don't like there much is that they seem
> > a bit too low level.
>
> They usually support UCS-2, GSM and ASCII, with varying degrees of
> success, but you're completely right that this should never appear in
> the public API.

My opinion is that the Modem service (or SMS service or whatever) should
handle the charset internally and convert from UTF-8 to the best that
the hardware supports.  Since everything coming over D-Bus is UTF-8 by
definition, there's no point to exposing that charset functionality
publicly since you can't send the modem service anything that's _not_
UTF-8.  The modem service will have to convert internally no matter
what.