RE: NM ask for passphrase everytime

On Wed, 2008-04-30 at 17:19 +0000, Yongtao You wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Sorry if this question has already been asked. I searched several
> month
> > > worth of archived emails and didn't find anything that answers my
> question.
> > > So here we go...
> > >
> > > I'm using NM 0.6.4 on SuSE 10.1, connecting to my wireless router,
> using WEP
> > > shared key. I have no problem making the connection. It's just
> that it will
> > > not remember my WEP key. It asks me for the key every time it
> tries to
> > > connect to the router. I can see the key in my keyring, as well as
> in the
> > > ifcfg file, so I know the key is correct.
> > >
> > > Is this a know issue that's already fixed in the newer versions?
> Or did I do
> > > something wrong?
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I reply to this from the side of openSUSE: at least on the upcoming
> openSUSE 11.0, which included NM 0.7, this issue does not appear
> anymore. It is perfectly storing the keys and reusing them when
> reconnecting.
> >
> > Dominique
>
> Does that mean this is a known issue in 0.6.4? Just want to make sure
> I didn't mis-configure it or anything.

It depends on quite a number of things.  This basically means that NM
cannot connect to your access point.  It might mean that:

1) the SSID of your AP is hidden and you don't have an updated
NetworkManager or kernel that supports scan capabilities

2) you may have incorrectly specified the security settings of your AP.
Make sure when using WEP that you choose the right mode for your WEP key
(among ASCII, Passphrase, and Hex).

3) Your wifi card driver may not be implementing Wireless Extensions
correctly

Those are 3 reasons off the top of my head.  There were a number of
fixes in later versions of NM for issues like this, but since there are
quite a few reasons why the driver will fail to connect to the AP, we
can't say for sure...