nm-applet

I am a bit of a noob on this linux programming stuff in general and
very new to NM.  I could use a little direction.  I am running NM on
Ubuntu Gusty (7.01) and I have not been able to build two of the
projects after getting it from CVS.  Following the directions on the
project page (http://www.gnome.org/projects/NetworkManager/developers/),

 I am using gcc version 4.1.3 (Ubu 4.1.2-16ubuntu2)

========>>

after all the checks, NetworkManager build fails with:
"configure: error: wireless-tools >= 28pre9 not installed or not functional"

after all the checks, nm-applet build fails with this line:
root Ridgeview:/home/michael/network-manager-applet# ./autogen.sh
--prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --localstatedir=/var
libtoolize: `config.guess' exists: use `--force' to overwrite
libtoolize: `config.sub' exists: use `--force' to overwrite
libtoolize: `ltmain.sh' exists: use `--force' to overwrite
You should update your 'aclocal.m4' by running aclocal.
checking for gawk... gawk

checking for NMA... configure: error: Package requirements (dbus-glib-1 >= 0.72
                 glib-2.0 >= 2.10
                 NetworkManager >= 0.7.0
                 libnm_glib
                 libnm-util
                 gtk+-2.0 >= 2.10
                 libglade-2.0
                 gmodule-export-2.0
                 gconf-2.0
                 gnome-keyring-1
                 libnotify >= 0.4.3) were not met:

No package 'dbus-glib-1' found
No package 'NetworkManager' found
No package 'libnm_glib' found
No package 'libnm-util' found
No package 'gtk+-2.0' found
No package 'libglade-2.0' found
No package 'gconf-2.0' found
No package 'gnome-keyring-1' found
No package 'libnotify' found

Secondly, I was wondering if someone could give a quick answer as to
what it would take to add in a channel number to the wifi listings?  I
have peeked at the nm-applet code, but I was not sure how the XML gets
created or if the channel number is even available in it.

Thanks in advance,

Sincerely,

Michael