Re: trunk: pppoe supposed to be working?

On Thu, 2008-04-17 at 20:45 +0200, Björn Martensen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'd just like to know if current svn versions of NM 0.7 are supposed to
> have working pppoe support. (libnm: 3571, nm: 3572, nm-applet: 685)
> I entered the username and the password, left the service blank, as i
> have no idea what is supposed to go in there and it works with rp-pppoe
> and on my router too without a service name.
>
> When i connect directly to the dsl modem, NM tries to connect to "Auto
> Ethernet" but fails because it doesn't get an IP address assigned. When
> I select the dsl connection from the applet's list, NM crashes. I can
> restart it again but the wired connections are greyed out then. When I
> unplug the ethernet cable and plug it back in, NM tries to connect to
> "Auto Ethernet" again, fails to get an IP address, and so on..

You'll want to turn off the "Connect automatically" for the Auto
Ethernet connection, and turn on "Connect automatically" for the PPPoE
connection.  Obviously you can't determine which connection is
appropriate for ethernet since there's no SSID or anything.

The crash is probably the missing PPP setting that znscnchen reported
yesterday.  I'm going to fix that one today by requiring a PPP setting
for PPPoE, and will add the required PPP page to the connection editor.

> NM also crashes when I enter something into the service entry field.

Sounds like a bug, will look at that.

> I'd just like to know if this is the current state, or if I should get
> any kind of IP address for direct connections, a zeroconf address for
> example, or if it's "normal" currently, that I can't get an address.
> And I'd also like to know if activating a dsl connection is known to
> crash NM at the moment.

It probably is the current state, I don't personally have PPPoE stuff to
test with (my DSL modem runs in transparent bridge mode thank God) so I
have to rely a bit more on bug reports from users like you.  It's a big
help though, so thanks :)