Re: Open Algorithm With Phase 1 PEAP and Phase 2 MSCHAPV2 For Wireless

On Sun, 2008-04-06 at 23:54 -0400, Tyler Kahn wrote:
> Hello!
>
> First let me say I love NM! It's so simple and easy to use... very
> intuitive!
>
> The only problem that I have is that my school uses MSCHAPV2
> authentication for its wired and wireless internet.
>
> On my desktop computer running Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron Beta NM
> automatically detects that the wired is 8.011x encrypted and gives me
> the option to configure for it. Thank you soo much for this change!
>
> Unfortunately, running the beta on my laptop, when I go to "Connect to
> other wireless network" and select "None" for security, I am unable to
> specify any other settings!
>
> It would be incredibly helpful to be able to have NM support open
> algorithm security with phase 1 PEAP and phase 2 MSCHAPV2 (with slots
> for certificate files obviously).

What you really want here is WPA Enterprise or WPA2 Enterprise, which is
what your network really is using.  When you say "Open Algorithm" you
really mean the Open System _authentication_ used in 802.11, but it's
still encrypted with TKIP/CCMP or WEP after the authentication is
performed.

Hope that helps,
Dan