Resetting PSK for WPA

There's a question here, but let me tell why first . . .

After hearing the vulnerability of WPA to attacks on short pre-shared keys, I decided to reset my wireless routers to more robust keys.

Resetting Network Manager to use a different key was more of a challenge. (I had thought that, upon finding that it's psk was wrong, it would ask for a new one) But it didn't. NM just kept trying to connect.
After some judicious googling, I found two instructions:

The first (I think on Darren Alber's faq? but now I can't find the page) was to reset the SSID with the following command:

At any rate, once getting to the correct place, gconftool-2 did not return any output, and a search of the man page did not reveal an obvious "verbose" switch. But since there was no error, I restarted NM using:
sudo /etc/init.d/dbus restart
No luck, NM continued trying to connect with the old key. The second instruction was more of a brute force approach. Go to ~/.gconf/system/networking/wireless/networks/ and removing the directory named <ssid> Again replacing with the correct name. Another dbus restart, no change.

FInally, having searched for quite some time to see if the old psk was stored elsewhere, I re-booted the system. That finally worked -- and now I'm finally getting to the question.

As a linux newbie, one of the things I like is the ability to tweak, break, fix etc the system without having to reboot all the time. I assumed that I should be able to do so with NM and with other issues a dbus restart is just what is needed. Can't I do this without a reboot? Another way of asking: Where was my old key stored and what should I have restarted so that NM would be forced to ask me for the new one?

Thanks for any thoughts.

Patton