Re: Explanation of killswitch related messages.

Rogue escrib�
> Hi Brian,
>
> Brian Millett wrote:
>> Aaron Konstam escrib�
>> What is happening is the /usr/bin/dellWirelessCtl is what is being called and it
>> needs the dcdbas module to be loaded.  Since it is not, then the message.
>
>> Look here for libsmbios-bin-0.13.6-1.fc7:
>
>> http://linux.dell.com/libsmbios/main/
>
> Amazing, I wasn't aware of this :-) Thank you for enlightening me.
>
>> [bpm]$ rpm -ql libsmbios-bin-0.13.6-1.fc7
>
> Got it.
>
>> I've added:
>
>> modprobe dcdbas
>
> Did that!
>
>> to /etc/rc.local so it gets loaded at boot.
>
>> Then the messages not only go away, but toggling the wireless kill switch works.
>
> Unfortunately, no :-( ... Now I see the following error message:
>
> Sep 19 23:13:12 Xymnotune NetworkManager: <info>  Error getting
> killswitch power: org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.KillSwitch.NotSupported -
> dellWirelessCtl returned 4
>
> And that is what keeps repeating.
>
> Any ideas of what I can do to get around it?
>
> thanks,
> Rogue
>
> libsmbios-libs-0.13.10-1.fc7
> libsmbios-bin-0.13.10-1.fc7
> NetworkManager-0.6.5-7.fc7

1) make sure that the dcdbas is loaded by doing a 'lsmod | grep dcdbas'
if not, then do 'modprobe dcdbas'

2) make sure that the killswitch is turned on in the bios.

You do have a dell?  I don't have bluetooth on my d820, but I had to make sure
that the switch was enabled in the bios.

3) what does '/usr/bin/dellWirelessCtl --version' return?

Libsmbios version:    0.13.10
dellWirelessCtl version: 0.3.0

Brian Millett - [ Draal and Delenn, "A Voice in the Wilderness I"]
"Our world is changing, Delenn. I'm not sure when it began to change:
    perhaps the war, perhaps the death of Dukaht, perhaps the darkness
    was there all along and we refused to see it."
'If you're referring to the growing division between the religious and
    military castes...'
"That and more than that. There is a sense that we are lost, adrift. In
    the streets, in the temples, you can hear it in their voices, their
    manner: an anger just beneath the surface, a growing dissatisfaction,
    a self-involvement above the needs of others. It is not the same
    world in which I was born, Delenn. Not the same at all."