Re: has anyone had a chance to look at my nm-applet patch?

On Tue, 2007-10-30 at 20:40 -0400, Katelin Ganzer wrote:
> On 10/29/07, Katelin Ganzer <katelin ganzer gmail com> wrote:
> > I was thinking that if the developers are opposed to having the
> > channel displayed inside the progress bar, that maybe they would be
> > okay with displaying a nicely formatted tooltip with a bunch of useful
> > info?

Like KNetworkManager :)  I'm not overly fond of their implementation,
which I feel crams way too much questionably important info into the
tooltip, but putting a few details into a tooltip like you've done here
might be useful.

However, there's one big caveat with 0.6.x.  APs are aggregated based on
SSID, and therefore if you have two APs on channel 1 and channel 6,
you'll only see one AP in the menu.  That's mostly by design.  Where
0.6.x gets it wrong is because it aggregates _too_ much (0.7 fixes
this).  So the problem here is that you _can't_ really show the mode,
the channel, the band, or the BSSID because you only get that
information from one randomly selected BSSID of the entire SSID.

I was under the impression that a patch like this would be useful
precisely due to situations where there were a number of APs with the
same SSID but different channels or security, which 0.6.x really won't
let you separate in the applet... :(

Dan