essid with spaces

I have a little problem with NetworkManager (under gnome, ie nm-applet) and
a wireless essid with spaces. Has anyone go this to work with nm? I have
not, and now I cannot remove it from the configuration. I have tried all
sorts of variants of

gconftool-2 --recursive-unset /system/networking/wireless/networks/"essid with spaces"

but nothing seems to work, including @32 for the space or \ . In fact there
are two configurations with the same name, so I suppose there is some
greater problem anyway. Unfortunately I cannot change the essid name
either. Is this configuration in a file I could simply erase?