Re: nm-applet requires gnome?

On Sun, 2007-10-28 at 23:02 +0100, Joost Kremers wrote:
> hi all,
>
> i'm trying to install NetworkManager on a slackintosh (ppc-port of
> slackware) installation, with xfce but not gnome installed. NetworkManager
> itself compiled and installed fine, provided (of course) that i configure
> it with --without-gnome.
>
> i then went looking for nm-applet, but found it wasn't there. eventually, i
> found a changelog entry that mentioned it was now in a separate SVN module,
> after which i quickly found the 0.6.5 sources on the gnome ftp
> server. (TBH, i think it would be a good idea to mention this fact in the
> README or INSTALL of NetworkManager.)
>
> however, running configure fails with a message about gconf not being
> found. in this case, configuring with --without-gnome has no effect.
>
> from what i understand, NetworkManager needs nm-applet to be useful at
> all. so does this mean that NM no longer aims to be agnostic about the
> desktop-environment it's running under, or is there another way to use NM,
> i.e. without nm-applet?
>
> TIA
>
> joost

As Dan said nm-applet is designed for gnome and knetworkmanager for KDE.
I don't know of any official projects for XFCE however this applet lists
support for a XFCE-panel-plugin:
http://www.tfd.chalmers.se/~mk0foma/pyNetworkManager/

Please post back and let us know how it works, I have pointed some
people to it in the past but haven't heard how successful anyone has
been with it yet.