Re: Starting wpa_supplicant

On Sat, 2007-09-29 at 22:14 -0400, Ben Gamari wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I've been playing around with networkmanager from svn (for some reason
> 0.6.5 doesn't recognize my iwl3945 adapter yet 0.7 does). Is nm supposed
> to be able to automatically start wpa_supplicant? In order for wireless
> to work, I need to start wpa_supplicant with "-D wext -i wlan0
> -c /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf". While it would not be
> difficult to add this to my init scripts, this would hardly be elegant.
> How is nm intended to interface with wpa_supplicant? Is there a
> preferred way to start the supplicant? Is dbus itself supposed to take
> care of this? Thanks,

0.7 requires that either:

a) you have started wpa_supplicant with the "-u" option before running
NM (_no_ other arguments are required, not even driver, device, or
config files since all other parameters are configured on the fly)

OR

b) install D-Bus 1.1.0 or higher with system service activation

NM will try to activate wpa_supplicant on the system bus and if it
fails, will wait until it appears (ie is manually started with the -u
option).  You won't get any wireless functionality until the supplicant
has been started with the "-u" flag.