Re: How to get NetworkManager connect to known WIFI networks upon BOOT

On Thu, Nov 29, 2007 at 02:59:25PM -0500, Dan Williams wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-11-28 at 23:42 -0600, Igor Chudov wrote:
> > So. How can I make NM connect to password protected wifi networks upon
> > boot, without users logging in?
> >
> > How can I do it?
>
> It isn't possible with NM 0.6.x.  I've already committed code to trunk
> (0.7) for the system settings service, which will provide NM connection
> information before logins, therefore providing this functionality.  I'm
> currently implementing the 'ifcfg' backend that will work with Fedora
> and SUSE distros, and I'm going to implement a more flexible format
> based on key/value pairs (essentially .ini files, really) and maps much
> better to the NM connection/setting structure.  Somebody from the
> Debian/Ubuntu community will need to step up and write the plugin for
> their distro.
>
> The system settings service will make it's way into Fedora 8 at some
> point later this year.

That's great! I will be looking forward to this functionality (and to
having NM integrate well with bluetooth modems). I consider my laptop
to be a "portable server", not just a internet browser capable
device. So I want it to do a lot just on power up.