Re: if-up hooks not working

On Nov 28, 2007 7:35 PM, Darren Albers <dalbers gmail com> wrote:
> On Nov 28, 2007 7:32 PM, Scott Severance <scott scottseverance us> wrote:
> > Due to wireless issues I've been experiencing since upgrading to Ubuntu
> > Gutsy, I've been switching somewhat frequently between wired and wireless.
> > When I do that, my IP address changes and my router doesn't have enough
> > configurability to force the IP to stay the same. So, I've written a set of
> > scripts that keep my DNS server up-to-date.
> >
> > After poking around the filesystem and NetworkManager's scanty
> > documentation, I determined that I should place my script in
> > /etc/network/if-up.d. However, I've discovered that those scripts get called
> > when switching from wireless to wired, but not the other way around. How can
> > I persuade NetworkManager to run my script *every* time it switches
> > interfaces?
>

> I take you are are trying to update a DNS servers A record for your
> PC?   What I think you want to use is NetworkManagerDispatcher.
> These are scripts that are run based on the state of an interface.
>
> Some examples are here:
> http://www.darrenalbers.net/wiki/index.php?title=NetworkManagerScripts
>
> In fact someone posted a script to update a dynamic dns server here:
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.network.networkmanager.devel/5044

Thanks for the reply. I gather from the NetworkManagerDispatcher man
page that I should put my script in /etc/NetworkManager/dispatcher.d
and modify it so it only runs when the second command line argument is
"up." However, in its new location the script never gets executed.
What's even more confusing is that, apparently the only reason the
script worked at all in /etc/network/if- up.d was because there's a
script in /etc/NetworkManager/dispatcher.d which calls run-parts on
the other directory. Why isn't NetworkManagerDispatcher running my
script?

BTW: Yes, I guess I'm doing dynamic DNS (never thought of it that way
before) but with my own DNS server that runs on my network. The
dynamic DNS scripts work great. My only problem is that NetworkManager
refuses to call my trigger script. If I run it manually, everything's
peachy.

--
===Scott Severance===

Website: http://www.scottseverance.us
Blog: http://blog.scottseverance.us

Check out the Sermon Illustration Library:
http://www.sermonillustrationlibrary.org