Re: keyring manager

On Thu, 2007-03-15 at 11:35 -0400, Jon Nettleton wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-03-15 at 11:08 -0400, Dan Williams wrote:

> > > I find it somewhat amusing that with all the badmouthing of the ifup
> > > scripts storing the encryption keys unencrypted on the filesystem, we
> > > are right back to the same place.  But like you said above, that is just
> > > how it has got to be.  Will this mean that NetworkManager will be
> > > accepting patches to extend compatibility with existing network profile
> > > storage systems?  I have had a "Configuration" daemon and patches I have
> > > been using for months now, that I didn't release because everyone seemed
> > > so down on the ideas.
> >
> > Perhaps.  The problem is that distros have all sorts of configuration
> > littered all over the system in different formats.  The info-daemon
> > needs to deliver the information to NetworkManager in a fairly specific
> > format, but it doesn't really matter where it gets that information.
> >
> > I'll give you an example of the problem on Fedora.  Fedora's network
> > config lives in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts, and each device gets an
> > 'ifcfg-X' file that for wireless devices lists things like device type,
> > MAC address, and wireless settings including encryption key, SSID, etc.
> >
> > That's totally unsuitable for NetworkManager, because it allows only one
> > connection to be tied to the wireless device.  It's just not flexible
> > enough of a format to contain multiple connections for different
> > wireless networks.  So for Fedora, I don't think we'll use
> > the /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts files at all, and we'll have to
> > create a more flexible format.
>
> This is an interesting misconception.  You can name those scripts

Huh.  That certainly does make more sense :)  So they might be able to
fit in somewhere after all.  I'm still unconvinced they could be used as
a carrier for all the config info NM would put into them, plus we'd
still need a place for VPN and whatnot.  We'll see.

> ifcfg-whateveryouwant and they will work fine.  The device variable that
> is specified inside the file is really what is important.  Way back when
> like 4 years ago, pre-NetworkManager I actually had patches to ifup that
> allowed wireless scanning and choosing the proper ifup-device_essid file
> as a config.  All configurations were configured and managed through
> system-config-network.
>

> > We may need to have 'backends' for each distro in the system-wide info
> > daemon, sort of like we have now for the core NM daemon.  Or
> > runtime-loadable GModules or something.  Or, each distro can write their
> > own system info-daemon to parse their specific network config into the
> > format that NM requires over D-Bus.
>
> So this is how I wrote my hack Configuration/Info daemon, whatever you
> want to call it.  I don't actually read any of the scripts directly.  I
> have tool similar to ip/ifconfig or iwconfig that that runs on the
> commandline and talks over dbus to the info daemon.  This makes it
> really easy to adapt whatever backend you have without having to rewrite
> code all the time.  As a system administrator it is also nice to be able
> to manipulate ip configurations without the need to have a gui.

I don't think I quite understand the architecture here.  Does the
'similar to ifconfig' tool just ask the info-daemon for the config and
then run the script to activate the config?

In the NM info-daemon case the sysadmin would just make the changes,
either to text files, to LDAP, to GConf, install an RPM, whatever, and
the info-daemon is responsible for noticing those changes and telling
NetworkManager that an update occurred.

The point here of course is that the D-Bus API is the common glue,
doesn't matter what's on the other side as long as it can speak that
dbus api.

Cheers,
Dan