From:   Dan Williams [mailto:dcbw redhat com]
Sent:   Thu 3/8/2007 9:48 PM
To:     yelo_3
Cc:     network manager
Subject:        Re: applet and wireless scan

On Thu, 2007-03-08 at 19:40 +0000, yelo_3 wrote:
> > That's almost certainly a driver issue.  If the driver is saying that
> > quality of the AP is 30%, but you cannot connect, then the driver is
> > wrong.  The driver should be factoring all necessary information into
> > the "quality" measurement.
>
> I will post a bug to ipw2200 tracer, thank you for the suggestion!
>
> > An issue here is that a scan is technically a DoS on the card.  If you
> > have an existing connection, you should not be able to repeatedly
> > trigger scans.  So no matter what, you should never be able to
> > immediately trigger more than one scan if you are not root.
>
> quite wired that the scan is a DoS!
> I didn't understand why more than one scan should be triggered, to have an up-to-date list after one click

That's not the point.  If you do a steady click-click-click on the
applet, that should not trigger a new scan each click.  At best, you'd
click, NM would scan, and if you clicked again within 5 or 10 seconds
you're out of luck.

So you'll never be able to get instantaneous scans _every_ time you
click on the applet, because that's a denial of service.