Re: applet and wireless scan

On Wed, 2007-03-07 at 22:01 +0100, yelo_3 wrote:
> Thank you Dan for your information!!
> I will do some tries and let you know if there are
> problems with the refresh of the list.
>
> I was complaining about the presence of ghost APs
> because a user thinks that he can connect to it even
> if he is not in range (6 minutes is still a lot. why
> so much?)... anyway he has to wait for at least 1

We can possibly tweak this, since drivers are better these days than
they used to be.  The 6 minute interval was chosen a fairly long time
ago.

> minute to see that he cannot connect (then connection
> timeout si tooooooo long :D even if it is immediately
> visible that the connection can't be done because
> there send-circle does not become green and stays
> grey) and then the AP should be removed from the list.
>
> Another scan problem is how nm handles the signal
> level. in iwlist eth1 scan there are two values: one
> misured in % and the other in dB. in my case if the
> level is less than -80dB I cannot connect, even if the
> other value is not so low (such as 25/100). which
> problem do you think it can be? a driver issue?
> nm-applet only shows the % value so it is possible
> that the connection cannot be estabilished because the
> other value is less than -80dB, but from nm this is
> not visible...

Scanned signal strength reported from drivers is still not reliable, but
is getting a lot better.  NM cannot rely on signal strength for doing
stuff like switching access points or roaming yet.

Drivers should report signal _quality_ in a 0 - 100% range, they are
free to do whatever they wish with the RSSI/dBm.

> As reguards the scan from console I didn't know that
> in some cases it takes up to 10 seconds.. it is
> instant with ipw2200! (and so it should be instant
> with nm, shouldn't it? or is it introduces a sleep of
> 20 seconds independently?)

Yes, but since NM has to deal with cards _other_ than ipw2200 too.

Dan