NM stopped 'spinning'

I'm running Ubuntu Feisty (up-to-date), but due to a bug
(or rather missing feature - the iSight on my MacBook),
I upgraded the kernel (only!) from Gutsy - linux-image-2.6.22-7-386.

This meant that I had to recompile/reinstall the madwifi
driver (the 0.9.30 branch I was running didn't compile,
and I had no time/didn't feel like figuring out why).

So I took an up-to-date trunk - rev 2525. But with this,
NM stopped 'spinning' when it configures the network(s).
It's just shows the bar chart (like when connected).
The note (when I put the pointer over the applet), say
that it IS connected.

After a while it shows the notice 'You are now connected ...'.

I tried to upgrade the 'network-manager' and 'network-manager-applet'
from Gutsy (version 0.6.5-0ubuntu4). This did not change
anything...

Any idea why I don't get the 'spinning' any more?