Re: Intermittent DHCP problem

On Thu, 2007-06-14 at 13:31 +0100, Steve wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have an irritating issue with my laptop connecting to my AP at home.
> It's an intermittent problem as sometimes it connects fine, whereas
> other times it won't connect at all, until I either reboot or reload the
> wireless card's driver. I have tried both Broadcom and Atheros cards
> with the latest stable firmware/driver versions on Ubuntu 7.04 and on
> Fedora 7.
>
> Symptoms:
> I have the WPA-PSK key stored in the gnome-keyring from previous
> connections, however when I attempt to connect I get one green light,
> then it times out and asks for a new password.
>
> I have examined the log files and can see that it associates fine and
> the 4 way handshake completes ok. The problem seems to be that DHCP
> times out. I have run a packet capture with Wireshark and I can see that
> there are DHCP replies, but these are not being found by the DHCP client
> for some reason. As I said earlier, sometimes they are found, so does
> this point to a driver problem? With the Broadcom card I get CCMP:
> failed to decrypt errors during this process.
>
> Additionally, a side effect of this issue is that since I have
> Avahi-autoip running, while network manager waits for a new password I
> can see the Avahi services of other PCs on the network. As soon as I
> click cancel the interface is disabled. Why can't I use the link-local
> address when DHCP fails, without the annoying window in the background?
> Clearly the key works, so surely there's no need for it to be
> re-entered.

I just committed a fix for a bug whereby the interface is down when
wpa_supplicant signals a connection; basically we just have to make sure
the device is up before trying DHCP.  Not sure if that's the problem for
you, but could you try that change (should be pretty obvious from the
Changelog on the NETWORKMANAGER_0_6_0_RELEASE branch) and see if that
helps?  It can sometimes be triggered by re-choosing the network you're
currently connected to from the menu.

Dan